Friday, August 26, 2011

Buddhism & New Age

Had a discussion with a Venerable about New Age modalities (in general), and I was

trying to see the "linkage"/relevance (if any) to Buddhism. More rather, I was trying
to make sense and ask, if a Buddhist should practice new age modalities.

I entered Buddhism via the new age route. Yes, it sounds odd, but my "mentor" is a
Buddhist, and while she uses new age methods to provide some immediate clarity,
the end suggestion (whenever suitable), was always Dharma.

But through my chat with Venerable, I have a better view and understanding of the
New Age/Buddhism "divide" (if I may use such a term)

- New Age can be viewed as a shortcut, that provides immediate guidance/results.
But often enough, the root problem is still not resolved

- Buddhism & New Age has different goals. So if you are clear that your goal is
liberation, than the key focus should still be on practicing the Dharma

- So the question is: If Dharma is that good (as gold) why should we be focusing
on the "less precious" (new age) [This is relative, depending on your perspective]
The right view and firm understanding of the Dharma, should motivate us to
cultivate and not rely on methods that provide instant results, because we would
know that cultivation takes a long long time, and even the shortcuts (Pureland)
are not easy to "access"

- The premises that new age modalities work on, are very similar to Buddhism,
and there are always equivalent methods in Buddhism that also works as well

- From a Buddhist's point of view, it is very easy to be over attached to the results
of new age that we forget to practice properly.
Cultivation is a long term thing, and we should be clear about that; if it really is
that easy, I guess everyone would have been enlightened already

Well, I still have my attachment to instant results, but I have a clearer picture now.
May I continue to practice and cultivate for the benefit of all sentient beings.

Amituofo

No comments:

Post a Comment