Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Why are you going there?

This didnt happen to me, but i would like to share it. [But i think i have a similiar entry from before]



I do some befriending work at the Patient Care Centre of TTSH's CDC. And a fellow befriender shared his experience with his friends.



He told his friends that he volunteers at the Communicable Disease Centre, and the reaction that he got in return, was "WHY are YOU going there?"



Just because some diseases MIGHT be contagious or communicable under certain conditions (which is within our control), doesnt mean that we should avoid the patient, or not show care and concern.



I can only assume/guess what was going through that friend's head. "Those people do not deserve our care. I do not want to be associated with them. What if I get the disease too..."

But the purpose of this entry is more to ask myself. Why do I go there, and why am I fearful of sharing about my befriending work.

No comments:

Post a Comment