Thursday, March 19, 2009

What is your happiness based on?

I was reminded today of an exercise which I did in Sec school. It went along the lines of draw/describe your dreams/goals in 20(?) years time.

What I drew and the subsequent remarks have been strongly impressed on me. I recall drawing a 5 room flat. And the counsellor commented that that was something that I already have, and that doesn't count as a dream. Deep in my heart I disagreed.

Now that I am "grown-up", I realise that my dreams than signified more than I ever knew. It represented happiness and contentment in my life. I already have all that I need and want, and there is no need to pursue and chase after endless dreams.

Every morning, I wake up and look out of my window. And I feel so blessed, that I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and that nature is everywhere around us, as long as we know how/where to look. And I feel so thankful and appreciative. I make it a point to thank the universe every single day, for all that I have and am.
There is joy and happiness in me, simply by being here, in this present moment, enjoying all that life has to bring to me, be it just my breath, or my heartbeat, or the wind blowing in from my window.

How about you? Are you searching and seeking for true happiness?
Do you think that getting that condo, or a new car, a higher paying salary, will bring you more joy and happiness? Life is pretty much a cycle. It has no beginning, and no end. Until you see the cycle for what it is, you will be stuck in it, trying to fulfil your dreams. But greed is never satisfied. When you base your happiness on material things, it will only bring you more craving and suffering.

Why base your happiness on the material?


Finding happiness Part 3


No comments:

Post a Comment