Saturday, June 13, 2009

Filial piety on the decline

It certainty seem the case to me, but I can only judge myself.

What is your definition of being filial?
Does providing monetary support count? Or is it going home on weekends for a simple meal? Or accompanying the elders as and when they require you?

Aint sure about you, but i think that the operational definition of filial piety has subtlely changed over the decades.
And while I might be classified as filial in this time and age, i will probably miss the bar if it was 20 years ago.

Personally, I would fail myself as a daughter. I am grateful and thankful but I have never really expressed that appreciation and gratitude. Maybe it comes from being quiet and in a traditional chinese family where feelings are never openly expressed. I do try to be good and available and all, but even in my deepest of heart, i do not think that that is sufficient.

I would recommend that you listen/read 弟子规。

No comments:

Post a Comment