Thursday, June 11, 2009

Prostrations into the ground

Watched over a TV programme sometime earlier on, about a layperson in Tibet (?), who made over thousands prostrations each day, such that his toes/feet wore out an imprint on the ground of the temple (in the spot where he made his prostrations daily)

It’s quite an amazing feat. The discipline and devotion to his practice.
I am glad to say that I have yet to reach that stage of cultivation.

I used to not take prostrations seriously, because I didn’t see the need nor the value in doing so. It was after I invited Amitabha home, together with the daily prostrations that I did out of respect, that I finally realized the importance and value of prostrations. [Not that I do that many]

It is more than basic respect. It is the heartfelt gratitude and thanks, the appreciation of their qualities (wisdom and compassion), the reverence of their vows, and mostly, the aspiration to be like them. It humbles the self, and reminds one that we have a long way to go on our path to enlightenment.

One does not become a Buddha easily. Lifetimes are required, suffering must be endured, karmic connection necessary, purity attained, the Truth realised. This is much harder than obtaining a doctorate, or even becoming the President. Yet fame and glory are perceived as valuable commodities.

I prostrate myself to slay my ego, to reduce my self-centeredness. To keep flattery and vanity out of my life. To regain the compassion and tolerance for all beings. Afterall, I am not any higher/better than pond scum.

No comments:

Post a Comment