Thursday, November 5, 2009

When we look inward too much...

... we become too detached to the suffering of the world out there
That sounds like me.

Looking inward seems often about the self, and you gradually forget that you live in this world, and that you still need to find a balance in the here and now.

I had a recent incident which I am still trying to struggle to learn from and comprehend. A lesson of detachment and compassion.

My mother-in-law was hospitalised. And while I am concerned and all, I am at some point detached from the happenings.

Is it simply because she is not my mom,
or because I am too detached,
or because I have seen suffering and know that there is no way out?
But yet, karma is not deterministic nor fatalistic.

There were many factors in play, and I find that I lack compassion.
I see her suffering and think that that is her due. It might be, but that doesnt mean that nothing can be done, or worst, that i should think that "she deserves it".

At some level, I understand that she is suffering due to her past karma and all. I am concerned but I do not find compassion deep in my heart. Alas, the power of the deluded mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment