Sunday, February 14, 2010

哭吧! 新年快乐!

新年快乐!
Forgot where I first heard this. But let me ask you, why do we find it joyful that another year has arrived? That the Chinese make a big deal out of it, and celebrate it so joyously? That the new year has come, and we are one year older.

I have heard that we should cry at the new year instead. That we are one year older, and one foot/step nearer to our coffin. And honestly, I much prefer this attitude/perspective. Which I find closer to the truth. And isnt it the case, when the clock strikes twelve, according to the lunar calender, we gain one year in age. Doesnt that take us one step closer to death for this lifetime?

In which case we should cry. Cry at the passing of time and of life. Cry that we have yet to achieve what we have thus set out to achieve. That we have not gained enough wisdom to transcend suffering. Cry that we might soon be dead.

哭吧, 新年快乐!

I do not mean to put a damper on the festivities. But merely to remind myself that this lifetime is precious, and it should be spent wisely, for one never knows when we will pass on.

No comments:

Post a Comment