Monday, February 22, 2010

What sort of Buddhist are you?

Buddhists can be generally categorised into 2 main types. (According to a talk, but I sort of re-categorised for my entry purpose)
i) Prayer (拜拜 Buddhists) and
ii) Lay Buddhists (which can be further segmented based on level of practice, etc)

拜拜 Buddhists means they only pray to the statues without any real understanding of the Dharma. And most likely have not taken refuge, nor attend Dharma class.

Lay Buddhists as mentioned, can be segmented:
- Taken Refuge
- Taken 5 Precepts
- Does some form of practices/Cultivate
- Taken Bodhisattva Precepts, etc....

The above is just to share, and maybe for you to think about, whether or not you are a Buddhist, and at which stage you are at.

When Venerable was teaching, I was wondering to myself. Where am I? Am I a Lay Buddhist, or a 拜拜 buddhist?
I might have taken the 3 Refuge and 5 Precepts, but have I taken it right, or kept to it, or fully understood the significance behind them?

True, I am learning more every day, but if I were to judge myself, I find myself far off the mark of a lay Buddhist.

I dont wish to pigeon hole anyone or myself. But the right view and concept would really make a different in the long run.

Taking Refuge is not as simple as reciting the Homage verses after the Venerable. It is a real homage from the heart, and the constant reminder and trust that we can rely on the Triple Gems. And the fact that we let the Triple Gems guide us in our body, speech and mind.

Now, what sort of Buddhist do you think you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment