Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pureland method is for?

In one of the classes which I attended recently, Venerable said, and I "quote" based on my own interpretation, that the Pureland method is for "cowards".

When you listen to his explanation, you will get the point. I suppose it is true in a way.

Why do practitioners want to go Pureland. I can only assume that a large number wants to escape samsara, and the Pureland method is the easiest way out due to the merits of Amitabha Buddha. The key word here is ESCAPE. We want a "release" from the suffering that we face, hence the motivation to go Pureland.

If that doesnt make us a coward, I dont know what does.

Venerable's point, is that our path to enlightenment would be shorter (relatively), if we had the right motivation, and returned to samsara to practice and benefit other sentient beings. [Vs a long long time of cultivation in Pureland]

When you think about it, it does make sense. A kind person vs a selfish person. Who gives you more chance to practice and cultivate? Similiar case for the environment.

I heard what Venerable was trying to teach, but I am conflicted. Coz I am afraid that my merits/karma would not be sufficient to ensure that I do not suffer and be able to practice in my future lifes.

IF that makes me a coward, so be it. But I do know that I will not stay in Pureland forever just to escape suffering. Bodhicitta also involves taking on others' suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment