Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My best practice in July

This might sound a little odd, but my best practice was actually at the funeral mentioned previously. On reflection, guess I can attribute it to the right motivation.

I decided to attend the funeral partly for selfish reasons. I wanted to assist the deceased, gain merits, and understand about Pureland funerals. But when I started to chant, I focused all my attention and “energy” on the thought of “directing” the deceased to Pureland. Sure, I got distracted once in a while, but most of my concentration was on Amitabha Buddha’s name, and the “power” it had to “save” the deceased.

I was actually disappointed when it ended. I thought the energy generated by those present to help was fantastic, and I understood that we had all benefited from the wish to be of service of another. I wish it could have gone on for longer, to create a even more conducive “environment” for the deceased to be mindful of the Buddha.

The funeral practice further reinforced (for me), the importance of having the right motivation.

Previously I was chanting because I wanted to get out of samsara. Even though bodhicitta was at the back of my mind, it wasn’t the focus. Self-centredness was. I am not afraid nor ashamed to share this, for if I was perfect, I wont be here anymore. I am still learning on my Dharma path, and there will be days when I lapse into ignorance and delusion. But I am determined to work at the noble 8 fold path, and cultivate my morality, concentration and wisdom.

There is no free lunch in this world. Good karma can only lead you part of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment