Saturday, March 27, 2010

Death and its perspectives


Read about the death of the world’s shortest man. It was the photo that captivated me. I assume he would have faced loads of troubles in his life, but his smile, was amazing. It seemed as if he is permanently happy, that he has seen and experienced life, but has found it meaningful and wonderful. I would give anything to have such a smile (it is really the eyes that smiled and twinkled).

Attended a class that focused on death and the lower rebirths. It really spoke to my heart about the importance of practicing Dharma NOW, purely. But my friends who attended went away with other opinions. And for that, I felt at a lost. I can only bring my friends to the class, but what they take away, is something I cannot control.

We went for supper after class, and sort of discussed the topic, but I didn't really share my views. In my heart, I was still thinking of ways to share and let them understand the fear of dying. Not of dying, but of a lower rebirth. (of course this is on the assumption that you believe in rebirths). It wasn't that they didn't understand this fact, but one took issue with the fear driven method of teaching about death.

Honestly, fear of a lower rebirth is one of my biggest fear. Because you really don't know where you will end up, and I do know (for a fact), that I had committed un-virtuous actions in this lifetime, not to mention the past.

And my biggest fear for the people around me, is the fact that they are not in touch with Dharma, so who is to guess what sort of mind frame they will be in when they die. They do not even have the Triple Gems to take refuge in.

And due to my limited knowledge and lack of skillful means, I can’t do much more for them.

Sadly, even I am not practicing Dharma purely, moment to moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment