Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What grounds you?

The title sound very new agey. But I want to share about this from the Buddhism perspective.

Generally speaking, alot of things can ground a person. Let me explain the grounding part.
Grounding in the sense that that is the fundamental thing that you will return to, that you are based on, that you function on.

The one thing that will keep you in check, or your mind at peace. That you can take refuge in, and return to, in times of need. That will help you stay sane and move on in your daily life when you encounter turbulences in your life.

That is the whole concept of Taking Refuge in Buddhism. (But this entry isnt wholly about taking refuge.)

A good friend shared that he is lost and confused in his life. And try as I might, I couldnt think up anything for him to guide his way. Not the Triple Gems, not the fact that he will be stuck in samsara. And I could not understand why. (I do and I don't)

Personally, the fact of samsara always pulls me back. Maybe not immediately, but the thought will build in my mind, and I will try to wade through the delusions to fall back on the Triple Gems. For I cannot imagine myself suffering for endless time (if i made that wrong decision etc). The temptation is still there, but fear of eons of endless suffering stops me midway.

Sad to say, it is based on fear. But at least it keeps me on the right track for now. And it does ground me to a huge extent. Not all my thoughts, actions and decisions are processed this way, but mindfulness is slowly increasing.

What about you? What grounds you? Or what do you take refuge in? That you count on to provide direction when you are lost?

I sincerely hope it is the Triple Gems, or the Buddha Dharma

No comments:

Post a Comment