Saturday, January 23, 2010

86400 佛号 - CTS 17

For the past one year or so, I have been setting homework for myself daily (which I often fail to do). It had ranged from Buddha's name recitation to sutra recitation and prostrations. And no matter how the variation and quantity changed, I still couldnt do it.

I would procrastinate or not be able to find the time or energy to sit down to my practice. And that was precisely why I left my job in the first place, to create the time and opportunity for my spiritual cultivation.

Of course there were a lot of factors to my failure. One of which was motivation.
I had the wrong motivation (had shared this previously), and I didnt (and still havent) fully realised impermanence. If I had, I would be fully motivated to sit and practice, as we never know when time will be running out. To keep thinking that I will make it up tomorrow is the wrong attitude, for we might not be here tomorrow.

The Venerables reminded us of the importance of having the correct motivations for our practice; that to develop bodhicitta is one of them.

More importantly, another lesson which I learnt was total mindfulness of the Buddha's name. I have tried to be mindful, but when I start working, or doing anything, the Triple Gems are pushed to the back of my mind, and instead, I would be rushing and sweating over the tiny details in the work.

It came to me (or rather, I was reminded), that one of the correct way to practice is to be constantly mindful of the Buddha's name. And (to me for now) it seems to be a easier applied method, and more beneficial coz it would also impact our daily living. That the daily application of our practice is more "value-added" (in some sense).

So one of my minor aspirations is a daily homework of 86400 佛号, meaning constant mindfulness of the Buddha's name.

阿弥驼佛

No comments:

Post a Comment