Sunday, January 17, 2010

Another karma and ego lesson - CTS 11

This was an even worst off lesson than the dish washing.

For every session, there is a prostration segment. And me being me, didnt take it seriously. And I have a lot of explanations for it. My knees hurt, I get dizzy with my head down for so long, etc...

Basically, I just wasnt mindful, and worst, respectful of the prostrations, and indirectly of the Triple Gems!

The prostrations are not meant to be made for fun. They are done to teach us to be humble, to see ourselves as lower than others (so as to develop compassion), to fully "let go" and take refuge in the Triple Gems.

And I made a joke out of the segment. I was either day dreaming, napping or using it as a toilet-cum-tea break.
Yes, it's all my fault. Well, we could use this segment to go to the toilet, but I overdid it when I was planning/timing my toilet break, so that I didnt have to queue, or that I could spent less time prostrating. My mind was either on my tea, or the toilet. Or trying to hang on so that I didnt get too dizzy in the process. OR napping. I wasnt sleeping sleeping, but when my head was down on the cushion, with my eyes closed, I was seriously resting and not even focusing on the recitation (the prostrations are executed according to the recitation of Amituofo).

In short, I didnt take it seriously when I should be focusing all my attention on it.

So of course I got my payback.

After the retreat ended, and we were going to leave, we went to pay respects to the Venerables. And we made prostrations as a form of respect. Down we went, and up, crack, I either strained or slightly twisted my ankle. (I always have problems with my feet/legs, but that's not the point). And straight away, I connected the cause of it.

My lax and lousy attitude towards the prostrations. Argh.... of course, who can i blame but myself.
My ankle is still giving my trouble down, tho it is better already.

During the sharing session, a retreatant was praising a fellow retreatant on her perfect prostrations, which were done with precision, mindfully and with concentration. That is truly praiseworthy.

And that is my goal. Not to be praised, but to "perfect" my prostrations, to be one of respect and humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment