Sunday, January 10, 2010

Peer pressure - CTS 4

I took the 8 precepts during the retreat. For those who read my earlier entry, you would know that I was debating with myself on whether or not to take up the precepts. (My objections were really superficial reasons)

Anyway, I went ahead and took the precepts, and it was smooth sailing, ie i didnt faint from hunger or low blood sugar. The irony was, it was due to peer pressure that I decided to take the precepts.

Before the 8 precepts ceremony, the Venerable told the hall that those who do not want to take the precepts can leave the hall, and go for 药石. So there I was, still uncertain, but tending towards leaving, when I realised that no one was moving. [Well, I did see some leave, but majority stayed].

So no surprises, I was "pressured" into taking the 8 precepts. True, no one forced me. It was my own perception of peer pressure and expectations that made me stay. But I didnt regret it.

After going thru it once, you will realise that it is nothing to go without your dinner. Especially in a retreat setting, where the conditions are so favourable for the taking of the precepts.

In fact, it was a wonderful chance for me to experience the 8 precepts. And I thank all for "pressurising" me into it.

It also gives you less attachment to your food, because you know you can do without it once in a while. (Of course not at the expense of your health)

It was one case of peer pressure that I would not complain about.

No comments:

Post a Comment