Monday, January 11, 2010

Without earrings - CTS 5

As a result of taking the 8 precepts, I also had to remove my earrings. To be honest, I wasnt sure if I needed to remove them, but a kind Bodhisattva came up to me and reminded me to remove them if I took the 8 precepts.

So off they came. And I felt a wonderful lightness on my ears (after so many years of earring wear).

I used to have the tendency of touching my earrings when I was bored or figety or uncomfortable. Now, there is only my earlobes.

The lightness was amazing. It wasnt only the physical lightness. Even I felt lighter in spirit after taking off the earrings.

I was too attached to my earrings. They were part of my identity, of my ego, that I was special because I wore my earrings in a certain manner. All it needed was to take them off, for me to realise the lesson above. They are only simple earrings. It is your own self perception that deemed them to be more. That we make them more than just the plain accessories that they should be. That we absorbed them to be part of our identify, of ourselves.

I have since given up wearing earrings. I am not a dressy person, and I do not need earrings to reinforce the self that is not real.

No comments:

Post a Comment