Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is there a need to catch up on our sleep? - CTS 15

After lunch, there is like an hour break or so. For us to rest, shower, wash clothes, etc.

The first day I returned to the dorm for the noon rest time, I saw most of my bunk mates sleeping. Almost 50%. So I followed suit. Especially since I lacked sleep from waking up so early. Subsequently, I tried to use the time for my shower, or for tea.

But a fellow Singaporean taught me a very valuable lesson. There is another break around dinner time, and I suppose a number of pple also go back to catch a quick nap, or shower. When we turned to exit the hall on the second day during the dinner time break, I caught sight of my fellow Singaporean retreatant. And instead of leaving the hall, she was settling herself down to do more practice.

And instantly it struck me, that that should be what I should do, instead of hiding away in the room, trying to sleep or queuing up for a shower (but of course I still had to, and found the time to shower). So I sat back down too.

We have travelled all the way there simply to practice, And if we really need to sleep, I am of the opinion that it is better to nod off in the practice hall, than to rest in the bunk.

Time should not be wasted on a luxury. We have learnt of impermanence, but who really practices and hold it to heart. IF we did, we would not be wasting our time sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment